Right before the holidays, under the new moon of the Winter Solstice each member of my family sat down and wrote and created a Fire Release Packets. I first got the idea a few years back from Pixie Campbell and we’ve been doing it ever since. It’s a lovely ritual to release and leave behind those things that no longer serve us and invoke peace and wholeness while inviting in our good intentions for the start of the new year.
Feeding the solstice fire is a way for us to transfer our energy and reclaim hope. Turning our bad habits and obstacles into something rejuvenating, new and reborn, just like the phoenix rising from the ashes.
This is how we made our Fire Release Packets:
- A contained fire (either in a fireplace or an outdoor fire pit)
- A brown paper bag or craft paper
- Strips of scrap paper
- Pen or Pencil
- String or twine
- An assortment of symbolic and meaningful herbs (Pick 3-5 to include from our List)
SYMBOLIC & MEANINGFUL HERBS
Ash – is an herb of the sun, for protection
Bay Laurel – to bring in the light of the sun and ward off illness
Camomile – to soothe and cleanse, love and purification
Cinnamon- success, power, healing, the spice of life, lust, protection, intuitiveness and spirituality
Eucalyptus- wealth, abundance and foretelling
Frankincense – an antiseptic herb to bring purification and protection
Ginger- passion, success, wealth and power
Holly- hope, protection, the co-existence of human and plant spirit and life
Jasmine- sweet love, modesty, sensuality, grace and elegance
Juniper- staying true to oneself and never compromising your integrity
Lavender – devotion, virtue and acknowledgement
Mint- virtue eternal refreshment, wisdom
Mistletoe – healing, peace, and beautiful dreams
Pine- peace, healing, joy and humility
Rosemary – remembrance, love, loyalty, fidelity, faithfulness
Sage – wisdom, long life, banish and ward off evil and cleanse spaces of negative influence
Yellow Cedar – for cleansing and purity
To Make A Fire Release Packet:
- Cut your brown paper bag into 5 in squares. One for each person participating in the Fire Release Ritual.
- Place a pinch of each of your selected herbs in the center of you square.
- On the strips of scrap paper write down what you would like to release and in exchange what you would like to invite into the new year. (See below for some release writing prompt)
- Fold each strip and place them in the center of your square.
- When you are finished writing fold your paper together to enclose the contents and tie it closed with the twine.
- As a group give witness to each other as you gently place your release packet into the fire.
- Gaze into the flames in a symbolic gesture of letting go and watching your thoughts and intentions transform.
RELEASE WRITING PROMPTS to help get you started
- Write about how you can turn a negative into positives.
- What do you want to manifest and hold dear.
- What fears have been holding your back? It might be time to let them go.
- What are you are working on changing in your life?
- Align and empower your goals by changing your mindset and thoughts.
- What old connects are no longer serving you? Let go and release them.
- Let go of grudges, hurt feeling, petty grievances, emotional wounds and debts owed to you.
- Where can you turn to for inspiration?
- What part of you do you want to awaken?
- Is there an opportunities or some bit of knowledge available to you that you have chosen to overlook or ignore?
- What intentions would we like to put forward for the next phase of your life?
- How can you rejuvenate yourself physically and spiritually?
- What have you taken for granted ? Offer thanks.
- State and restate personal dreams, goals and desires.
Pixie also offers some really good writing prompts. But most of all remember to be honest with yourself no one but you and the flames of the release fire will see what you’ve enclosed in your packet.