How incredibly serendipitous that last week after posting my coat-of-arms I found out that the Prince William and the Dutchess Kate had just announced their conjugal coat of arms!! What timing :)
So this week I wanted to share with you some of the personal meaning behind the three coat of arms that I showed you last week.
Usually a traditionally a code of arms consists of a shield, helmet and mantle, charges, a crest and a motto, but I think you should include what feels right to you.
What story do you want to tell? What symbols best represent you? Think about your color choices and what power animal embody your spirit? Every element in a coat of arms should have deep personal meaning to you.
Here are a few questions and prompts to help you think about what elements you want to include on your Coat of Arms.
- What are your favorite color? Do they hold any meaning to you?
- Do you have any totem or power animals that you feel a strong affinity to?
- What are your favorite flowers? Your birth flowers? Do some research and find out the meaning behind your favorite bloom.
- What are your favorite hobbies? Your favorite foods? Why are they your favorites?
- Do you have any hidden talents? What are the things you do well? The things you love?
- What are your strengths, skill and interests?
- What are your Hopes and dreams? The key values in your life?
Now that you have a list chock-full of ideas it’s time to start drawing. Don’t feel obligated to include everything on your list. Only those items that carry the most importance and meaning to you so you don’t dilute your story.
Below is a free printable for you to start designing your own personal coat-of-arms.
I will also be offering commissions to create a person coat-of-arms for you or someone you love. They make wonderful wedding and baby shower gifts. So if you’d like for me to design a personal crest for you just send me an email at email@example.com or visit my etsy shop. I will be having them up there shortly.
you can see part 1 here!