The Black Cat is one of the most commonly recognizable icons of Halloween. Legends of black cats have been shrouded in mystery and superstition since the Dark Ages.
Cats have been both loved and feared though out history and the connect between black cats and Halloween is so complex and confusing that it’s hard to know the true historical source.
Since the days of early witchcraft cats were believed to be the familiars that were know to assistants witches. And some even believed that witches, themselves could transform into a cat as a way to covertly spy as well as to make a quick getaway in the face of danger.
To this day a large population of people are still very superstitious about black cats and go to great lengths to avoid crossing paths with one.
- Crepe Paper (black & orange)
- Tissue Paper (black)
- Cat Print Outs
- Glue Stick
- Scissors & Craft Knife
Gather your supplies and cut out your pieces. You will need a front and back for each piece.
Fold The Arms and Legs
- Measure and cut approximately 25” of each color streamer. (2 pieces for each arm or leg).
- Fold the streamers in half.
- Using two streamers glue the ends together (laying in opposite directions).
- Fold over and over again alternating streamers to make a square.
- Keep folding until you reach the desired arm length.
- Glue the ends together and add the paws.
Fold The Torso
- Fold 2 to 4 sheets of black tissue paper together to the width of the cat torso’s body.
- Lightly glue the final folded seam together.
- Accordion fold the body folding the paper back and forth.
Assemble Your Cat
- Glue the arms and torso to the cat’s shoulders.
- Attach the legs to the bottom of the torso.
If you would like to add a little extra sparkle to your cat like I did you will need:
- White Glue
- Paint Brush to apply white glue
- Glitter ( black, orange & white)
- Embroidery Floss and Needle for hanging your cat
- Floral Wire
- Apply white glue with a paint brush to the areas that you would like to glitter. I did the hat, eyes, cheeks and teeth.
- Use the Floral Wire to create some whiskers and glue them into place.
To hang your Cat use the embroidery floss and needle to puncture a hole thought the cat and create a hanging loop.