Today I made my own homemade deodorant!!
I’m normally not a big deodorant user. I usually just go al natural unless I’m attending a big event for function and then I’ll break out a stick. My grandmother and her sister both had Alzheimer’s. So you could say I’ve never been in a big hurry to rub my armpits with aluminum saturated deodorants that have been linked to cause Alzheimer’s and breast cancer along with seizures and kidney problems.
But since I’ve been taking on a more active lifestyle (I’m only 2 1/2 weeks in, but I’ve been trail running/walking pretty much every morning and hope to continue doing so for the rest of my life.) I’m feeling the need to combat the B.O. with something a bit more natural.
1/2 cup of baking soda
2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
20 drops of tea tree oil
10 drops of peppermint or another essential oil
measuring cup and spoons
old deodorant tube
TIP: I picked up the coconut oil and tea tree oil here.
- Measure out your baking soda into a bowl.
- Add in the tablespoons of coconut oil, making sure it is fully melted. (if it’s not melted it will be harder to mix in and combine with the other ingredients)
- Add your Tea Tree and Essential Oils.
- Mix until you have a smooth paste like consistency and can roll it into a ball.
- Press the mixture into your old deodorant tube being sure to get rid of any bubbles.
- Place deodorant tube it the freezer to firm and set up for 2-3 hours.
- Remove and use.
TIP: In warmer climates you may want to store your homemade deodorant in the refrigerator so that it stays frim and doesn’t melt.